Mastering Communication Skills in Handling Difficult Situations
29-30 April 2020, Port Moresby – Papua New Guinea
About The Trainer:
EUGENE TAN has been actively involved in various capacities of training and development for different organizations since 1993.
As a Certified Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) Trainer, he uses key concepts of NLP combined with Accelerated Learning principles for maximum effect during his sessions. With a keen understanding on the what, how and why of learning, his sessions are designed to maximize learning absorption and retention. Being a practical person, the ideas he advocates and shares are down to earth and readily applicable.
Eugene ensures that his sessions are always interactive, fun and never boring. His sessions seamlessly combine elements of high energy, high touch and high impact. When the situation requires, he will not hesitate to go high tech as well. In line with the key NLP concept, “All learning is state dependant”, he induces the optimum state of mind in the trainees to facilitate effortless transfer of knowledge.
He is a flexible and adaptable facilitator as evidenced by the numerous sessions that he has facilitated involving wide and diverse topics and situations – ranging from technical knowledge to soft skills, indoor to outdoor and instructor-led to participants centred.
Eugene specializes in the areas of leadership development, teambuilding, coaching and mentoring, emotional intelligence, stress management, communication skills and presentation skills. In addition, he is an approved and accredited trainer to conduct Train the Trainer (TTT) and Evaluation on Effectiveness of Training (EET) programmes for Pembangunan Sumber Manusia Berhad (PSMB).
With the accumulated years of up front training experience, he has facilitated or co-facilitated employees and associates from various MNCs, public sectors, universities and institutes of higher learning, large local organizations as well as small and medium industries and enterprises. He has also facilitated numerous sessions for schools and non-profit youth organizations.
He holds a Masters degree in Human Resource Management from University of Lincolnshire & Humberside (UK), Certificate in Learning & Development Practice, CIPD (UK) and the Certificate IV in Assessment & Workplace Training, Australia. Besides being fluent in English and Bahasa Malaysia, he is also conversant in Mandarin, which allows him to truly interact and connect with his audiences.
- Certified NLP Trainer
- Certified Master Trainer – Hypnotherapy
- Board Certified Hypnotherapist
- Certified Professional Speaker
- Directive Communication Psychology Certified Trainer
- Certified Stress Management Consultant
- Certified NLP Master Practitioner
- Certified Neuro-Semantics Master Practitioner
- Certified NLP Coach
- Certified “Words that Change Minds” Language and Behavior Profile for Coaching Practitioner
- Certified Master Practitioner of Time Line Therapy
- Certified Practitioner of Time Line Therapy
- Certified NLP Practitioner
- Certified Hypnotherapist
- Certified Hypnotist
This program uses an experiential learning approach employing a combination of lectures, group discussions, reflections, demonstrations, practical hands-on activities and practice sessions to enhance the overall learning process.
Mastering Communication Skills in Handling Difficult Situations:
We are constantly bombarded with challenging and difficult situations at different levels in our workplace. When managed well, they can have powerful and creative effects but when managed poorly or ignored, they can be disastrous for business, for the effectiveness of organisations and for staff morale, efficiency and commitment.
Difficulties frequently lead to heightened levels of conflict and stress. These in themselves are not bad per se but unfortunately the wide spread perception is otherwise. Many times we could effectively leverage on them for even better outcomes. Communication is key in this area.
This program provides you with an extremely insightful and practical guide on how to manage difficult situations that you encounter in your workplace using better communication skills. You will receive tips and techniques to enable you to develop the confidence to be proactive and not reactive when challenged by people, complaints and circumstances.
Benefits of Attending:
Upon completion of this program, participants should be able to:
- Articulate their understanding of human behaviour and its effect on others
- Use communication skills to manage difficult situations more effectively
- Describe their own conflict resolution style
- Turn conflict and potential conflict into a productive resource
- Forge positive working relationships with difficult or uncooperative individuals
- Adopt a confident, professional and appropriate style when faced with difficult people or situations
- Use assertiveness and persuasion techniques effectively
- Develop strategies to manage challenging situations in the workplace more effectively
- Plan their personal strategy for dealing with difficult situations
Dissection, definition & discussion of the program title
Root causes of difficult situations
- Real grievances
- “Test power”
- Combination factors
- Perception is the reality
Communicating in Difficult Situations
- Review of communication principles
- Active and empathetic listening
- Using questions effectively
- Feedback for continuous improvements
- Tested and proven tips and techniques
- The science behind the techniques
- Practical applications
Assertiveness in Action
- Key concepts
- Passive, Aggressive, Passive-Aggressive & Assertive behaviours
- 10 key qualities of assertive behaviour
Conflicts @ Work
- Common misconceptions about conflict
- Structure of conflicts
- Conflict resolution strategies
Investigation & Resolution process
- Transparent process
- Sincerity counts
- Remedies & redress
- Avoiding common mistakes
- Best practices
Putting out fires vs. Prevention Strategies
- Elimination, Prevention or Mitigation
- Clear plan of action
- Before, During & After