Project Planning & Control
Master the fundamentals of Project Planning, Scheduling, Controlling and Reporting in 2 days! Complemented by practicing Microsoft Project Software Application Tools.
15-16 May 2019, Port Moresby – Papua New Guinea
Project Planning & Control:
Studies have shown that the success rate of projects will increase when a systematic and structured approach to project Planning, Scheduling, Controlling and Reporting is adopted, aided by the use of software application tools. Get a solid understanding of state-of-the-art project planning and control tools & techniques to get the project done on time, within budget, scope and quality.
Unlike other workshops, Project Planning & Control program combines a practical and theoretical approach by emphasing the essential principles with case studies, examples, hands-on exercises and templates complemented by applications of popular software tools like spreadsheet and Microsoft Project.
Benefits of Attending Project Planning & Control:
By the end of this program, participants will be able to:
- Master fundamental project management knowledge, skills, tools & techniques with cross references to world class standard in USA-based
- Project Management Institute’s body of knowledge PMBOK®.
- Understand & apply the best practices in Planning, Scheduling, Controlling and Reporting.
- Avoid costly mistakes by gaining an insight into the success & failure factors of projects
- Develop SMART Objectives, Work Breakdown Structure, Quality Objectives, Project Plan, Schedule, Risk Plan & Subsidiary Plans
- Develop network diagrams to analyse Critical Path and compress project duration
- Estimate project costs and budget using simple, proven techniques
- Monitor project performance, forecast time and cost of project completion using Earned Value Management and other tools and techniques.
- Assess and mitigate project risks
- Learn and apply relevant basic MS Project software tools in developing Project Plan and Schedule, monitoring and controlling project activities and reporting.
About The Trainer:
(B.Sc. Hons., MBA, P.Eng., MIEM, PMP®)
Ir.Frankie Chong, a graduate of University of Manchester (UK), Professional Engineer, certified PMP® trainer, HRDF and CIDB approved trainer, international speaker and professional trainer, has more than 30 years of experience in leading and managing many large and small projects in various industries such as engineering, telecommunication, construction, IT, education, military and finance. Among his many successful achievements, Frankie was instrumental in:
- Developing and implementing multiple nation-wide multi-million dollar engineering, telecommunication infrastructure and construction projects.
- Re-engineering a 2000-user Fault Management Systems serving 4 million telephone customers, which brought about a leap frog improvement in operational efficiency and quality of customer care service.
- Developing industry standards, best practices, methodology and conducting training programs and consultancy services in the project management domain.
Leveraging on his diverse working career and industrial experience as a Controller, Project Director/Engineer, Chief Information Technology Officer in local and international positions, Project Management Consultant, and a Chief Paper Examiner/Lecturer of a U.K. University project management module, Frankie helps MNCs and SMEs improve productivity and effectiveness by providing strategic training and consulting services in the areas of Project Management & Methodology, Business Development, Business Process Re-Engineering, PMP® & CAPM® Certifications, Applied Project Management, Microsoft Project software applications, Project Risk Management, Project Leadership and Communication & Supervisory Management.
Some of his clients include Telekom Malaysia, Tenaga Nasional, Institution of Engineers Malaysia, Construction Industry Development Board, Maybank, MAS, Air Asia, Malaysia Airports Holdings, UEM, SP Setia, IJM Land, MRCB, Nam Fatt, IOI Properties, Berjaya Land, PKNS, Muhibbah Engineering, Jimah, Sarawak Energy, Iskandar Development, Sime Darby, Toyota, Petronas, Shell, Prasanara, MRT Corp, Sapura, BT, North Port, PTP, Bintulu Port, Bintulu Development Authority, Maxis, PLUS, MINDEF, Sin Chew, Felda, Dyson, Autokeen, Tan Chong, Proton, MSC Technology Centre, HP, Seagate, Kompakar, EMC, Elektrisola, CTRM, Malaysia NPK Fertilizers, MIM, MMU, UTM, UPM, Nottingham U, iNet263.com (Beijing), Trends.Net (Philippine), Amadeus (Bangkok), TRUE (Bangkok), DST International (Bangkok), Chulalangkorn EIT (Bangkok), Sudan Welfare Ministry, Sudan Electrical Distribution company, VUSTA (Hanoi), EPM, Banglalink (Dakha), Board of Engineers Cambodia and many others.
Hundreds of participants have benefited and have credited his training as stimulating, informative and effective.
Project Planning & Control Course Modules:
DAY 1: PROJECT PLANNING, SCHEDULING, CONTROLLING & REPORTING
MODULE 1: INTRODUCTION AND KEY CONCEPTS
- Definitions, Characteristics and Framework of Project Management
- Triple Constraints & Trade-offs
- Project Life Cycle Phases, SDLC and Processes
- Success and Failure factors
- De-facto standards and methodology
- Survey on best practices in Malaysia
- Project Business Case & Feasibility Study
- Project Selection Method
- Project Charter
MODULE 2: PROJECT PLANNING & SCHEDULING
- Develop Project Plan
- Collect Requirements
- Define Scope
- Create Work Breakdown Structure
- Define & Sequence Activities
- Estimate Activity Resources & Durations
- Develop Network Diagram & Project Schedule
- Estimate Costs & Determine Budget
- Assign Responsibilities using RAM
- Gantt chart, CPM, PERT Analysis & Compression techniques.
MODULE 3: SUBSIDIARY PLANS
- Create Quality Plan
- Create HR Plan
- Create Risk Plan
- Create Communication Plan
- Create Stakeholder Plan
MODULE 4: PROJECT CONTROL & REPORTING
- Activate Project Board & Change Control System
- Monitor and Control Project Work
- Milestone Chart, Variance analysis, Gantt Chart, S-curve
- Earned Value Management
- Perform Integrated Change Control
- Verify Scope
- Perform Quality Control
- Report Performance
- Monitor and Control Risks
DAY 2: MICROSOFT PROJECT 2013 PRACTICAL
MODULE 1: A guided tour of Project
- The Project interface
- The Backstage view
- The ribbon and tabs
- Views / Reports
MODULE 2: Starting a new plan
- Starting a new plan, and setting its start date
- Setting nonworking days in the project calendar
- Entering the plan’s title and other properties
MODULE 3: Building a task list
- Entering task names/durations/milestone
- Creating summary tasks to outline the plan
- Creating task dependencies with links
- Switching task scheduling from manual to automatic
- Checking the plan’s duration and finish date
- Documenting tasks with notes and hyperlinks
MODULE 4: Setting up resources
- Entering work resource names/max capacity/pay rates
- Adjusting working time in a resource calendar
- Setting up cost resources
- Documenting resources with notes
MODULE 5: Assigning resources to tasks
- Assigning work resources to tasks
- Controlling work when adding or removing resource assignments
- Assigning cost resources to tasks
- Checking the plan’s duration, cost, and work
MODULE 6: Formatting and sharing your plan
- Customizing a Gantt Chart view/timeline view/reports
- Copying views and reports
- Printing views and reports
MODULE 7: Tracking progress
- Saving a baseline of your plan
- Tracking a plan as scheduled through a specific date
- Entering a task’s completion percentage
- Entering actual values for tasks