Fundamental Project Management
13-14 May 2019, Port Moresby – Papua New Guinea
Fundamental Project Management:
Studies have shown that the success rate of projects will increase when a systematic and structured approach to project management is adopted, thus enhancing ROI and overall customer satisfaction.
Get a solid understanding of project management methods with this comprehensive introductory course. Fundamental Project Management gives you the foundation to manage each stage of the project life cycle, set goals tied directly to stakeholder needs, get the most from your project management team, and utilize state-of-the-art project management tools & techniques to get the work done on time, within budget and quality.
Unlike other workshops, this intensive program combines a practical and theoretical approach by emphasing the essential principles and people skills with case studies, examples, real-life experiences, complemented by a variety of templates and demonstration of a popular project software tool.
Benefits of Attending Fundamental Project Management Training:
By the end of this program, participants will be able to:
- Master fundamental project management knowledge, skills, concepts, tools & techniques with cross references to world class standard in USA-based Project Management Institute’s body of knowledge PMBOK®.
- Understand & apply the best practices in Initiating, Planning, Monitoring and Controlling, Executing, and Terminating phases of a Project Life Cycle.
- Justify your project & link project goals and objectives to stakeholders’ needs.
- Identify the critical role and functions of project managers.
- Avoid costly mistakes by gaining an insight into the success & failure factors of projects & the advantages of Project Management.
About The Trainer:
(B.Sc. Hons., MBA, P.Eng., MIEM, PMP®)
Ir.Frankie Chong, a graduate of University of Manchester (UK), Professional Engineer, certified PMP® trainer, HRDF and CIDB approved trainer, international speaker and professional trainer, has more than 30 years of experience in leading and managing many large and small projects in various industries such as engineering, telecommunication, construction, IT, education, military and finance. Among his many successful achievements, Frankie was instrumental in:
- Developing and implementing multiple nation-wide multi-million dollar engineering, telecommunication infrastructure and construction projects.
- Re-engineering a 2000-user Fault Management Systems serving 4 million telephone customers, which brought about a leap frog improvement in operational efficiency and quality of customer care service.
- Developing industry standards, best practices, methodology and conducting training programs and consultancy services in the project management domain.
Leveraging on his diverse working career and industrial experience as a Controller, Project Director/Engineer, Chief Information Technology Officer in local and international positions, Project Management Consultant, and a Chief Paper Examiner/Lecturer of a U.K. University project management module, Frankie helps MNCs and SMEs improve productivity and effectiveness by providing strategic training and consulting services in the areas of Project Management & Methodology, Business Development, Business Process Re-Engineering, PMP® & CAPM® Certifications, Applied Project Management, Microsoft Project software applications, Project Risk Management, Project Leadership and Communication & Supervisory Management.
Some of his clients include Telekom Malaysia, Tenaga Nasional, Institution of Engineers Malaysia, Construction Industry Development Board, Maybank, MAS, Air Asia, Malaysia Airports Holdings, UEM, SP Setia, IJM Land, MRCB, Nam Fatt, IOI Properties, Berjaya Land, PKNS, Muhibbah Engineering, Jimah, Sarawak Energy, Iskandar Development, Sime Darby, Toyota, Petronas, Shell, Prasanara, MRT Corp, Sapura, BT, North Port, PTP, Bintulu Port, Bintulu Development Authority, Maxis, PLUS, MINDEF, Sin Chew, Felda, Dyson, Autokeen, Tan Chong, Proton, MSC Technology Centre, HP, Seagate, Kompakar, EMC, Elektrisola, CTRM, Malaysia NPK Fertilizers, MIM, MMU, UTM, UPM, Nottingham U, iNet263.com (Beijing), Trends.Net (Philippine), Amadeus (Bangkok), TRUE (Bangkok), DST International (Bangkok), Chulalangkorn EIT (Bangkok), Sudan Welfare Ministry, Sudan Electrical Distribution company, VUSTA (Hanoi), EPM, Banglalink (Dakha), Board of Engineers Cambodia and many others.
Hundreds of participants have benefited and have credited his training as stimulating, informative and effective.
Fundamental Project Management Course Modules:
Module 1: INTRODUCTION AND KEY CONCEPTS
- New Management Challenges
- Definitions, Characteristics and Framework of
- Project Management
- Triple Constraints & Trade-offs
- Project Life Cycle Phases, SDLC & Processes
- Benefits and problems of Project Management
- Success & Failure factors scenario
- De-facto standards and methodology
- Survey on best practices in Malaysia
Module 2: PROJECT INITIATION
- Project Vision & Mission, Purpose and Goal
- Selection Method
- Develop a Business Case
- Undertake a Feasibility Study
- Develop SMART Objectives
- Establish the Terms of Reference / Project Charter
- Appoint a Project Team
- Functional, Matrix, Projectized Organizations
- Identifying & analyzing the important players and stakeholders
- Financial techniques, ROI, NPV, IRR, Payback, Cost-Benefits
- Roles & responsibilities of Project Manager & Team
- Kick off meeting
Module 3: PROJECT PLANNING
- Develop Project Plan
- Collect Requirements
- Define Scope of Work
- Create Work Breakdown Structure
- Define & Sequence Activities
- Estimate Activity Resources & Durations
- Develop Network Diagram & Project Schedule
- Estimate costs & Determine Budget
- Assign Responsibilities using RAM
- Gantt chart, CPM, PERT Analysis & Compression techniques in Crashing & Fast Tracking
- Develop Subsidiary Plans: Resources, Financial, Quality, Risk, Acceptance, Communication, Procurement
Module 4: PROJECT EXECUTION
- Direct and Manage Project Work
- Management skills in leading, motivating, communicating & resolving conflicts
- Distribute Project Performance Information
- What should be included in Project Report
- Manage Stakeholder Expectations
- Tendering & award Contract
- Perform Quality Assurance
- Activate Project Board & Change Control System
Module 5: PROJECT CONTROL
- Monitor and Control Project Work
- Milestone Chart, Variance analysis, S-curve, Earned Value Analysis
- Perform Integrated Change Control
- Verify Scope
- Perform Quality Control
- Report Performance
- Monitor and Control Risks
- Administer Procurements
Module 6: PROJECT CLOSING
- Close Procurements
- Close Project or Phase
- Review Project completion
- Verify results & Auditing
- Closing out financial, legal, contractual issues
- Handing over procedures
- Post Implementation Review and Lessons learned
Module 7: SUMMARY
- Formula for success
- 7 habits of effective project manager
- Current and Future trends
- Demonstration Of Microsoft Project Software
Group discussion/Exercises/Case Studies/ Role Plays